Ändra sökning
RefereraExporteraLänk till posten
Permanent länk

Direktlänk
Referera
Referensformat
  • apa
  • harvard1
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Annat format
Fler format
Språk
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Annat språk
Fler språk
Utmatningsformat
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Characteristics of patients who die in hospital with no attempt at resuscitation
Högskolan i Borås, Akademin för vård, arbetsliv och välfärd.
Högskolan i Borås, Akademin för vård, arbetsliv och välfärd.
2005 (Engelska)Ingår i: Resuscitation, ISSN 0300-9572, E-ISSN 1873-1570, Vol. 65, nr 3, s. 291-299Artikel i tidskrift (Refereegranskat) Published
Abstract [en]

Objective: To describe the characteristics, cause of hospitalisation and symptoms prior to death in patients dying in hospital without resuscitation being started and the extent to which these decisions were documented. Materials and methods: All patients who died at Sahlgrenska University Hospital in Göteborg, Sweden, in whom cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) was not attempted during a period of one year. Results: Among 674 patients, 71% suffered respiratory insufficiency, 43% were unconscious and 32% had congestive heart failure during the 24 h before death. In the vast majority of patients, the diagnosis on admission to hospital was the same as the primary cause of death. The cause of death was life-threatening organ failure, including malignancy (44%), cerebral lesion (10%) and acute coronary syndrome (10%). The prior decision of ‘do not attempt resuscitation’ (DNAR) was documented in the medical notes in 82%. In the remaining 119 patients (18%), only 16 died unexpectedly. In all these 16 cases, it was regarded retrospectively as ethically justifiable not to start CPR. Conclusion: In patients who died at a Swedish University Hospital, we did not find a single case in which it was regarded as unethical not to start CPR. The patient group studied here had a poor prognosis due to a severe deterioration in their condition. To support this, we also found a high degree of documentation of DNAR. The low rate of CPR attempts after in-hospital cardiac arrest appears to be justified.

Ort, förlag, år, upplaga, sidor
Elsevier Ireland Ltd , 2005. Vol. 65, nr 3, s. 291-299
Nationell ämneskategori
Hälso- och sjukvårdsorganisation, hälsopolitik och hälsoekonomi Allmänmedicin
Identifikatorer
URN: urn:nbn:se:hb:diva-7451DOI: 10.1016/j.resuscitation.2004.11.028Lokalt ID: 2320/7288OAI: oai:DiVA.org:hb-7451DiVA, id: diva2:888314
Tillgänglig från: 2015-12-22 Skapad: 2015-12-22 Senast uppdaterad: 2018-01-10Bibliografiskt granskad

Open Access i DiVA

Fulltext saknas i DiVA

Övriga länkar

Förlagets fulltext

Personposter BETA

Herlitz, JohanBång, Angela

Sök vidare i DiVA

Av författaren/redaktören
Herlitz, JohanBång, Angela
Av organisationen
Akademin för vård, arbetsliv och välfärd
I samma tidskrift
Resuscitation
Hälso- och sjukvårdsorganisation, hälsopolitik och hälsoekonomiAllmänmedicin

Sök vidare utanför DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar

doi
urn-nbn

Altmetricpoäng

doi
urn-nbn
Totalt: 423 träffar
RefereraExporteraLänk till posten
Permanent länk

Direktlänk
Referera
Referensformat
  • apa
  • harvard1
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Annat format
Fler format
Språk
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Annat språk
Fler språk
Utmatningsformat
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf